Thursday 10 April 2014

Let's get stuck!

Thank you to both Suzuki Pinetown and Travis Duggan from Shift Group for the well organised 4x4 training, or rather adventure, that took place at the Killarney track in Shongweni, a week after I purchased my first ever 4x4 vehicle. Impeccable timing!

Never-ending thrills beneath a sky as blue as the Indian Ocean streaked with wisps of cloud, a sun throbbing hotter by the hour and a breath or two of air in a valley surrounded by red earth and green lush shrubbery! What more could anyone want?

A bevy of Jimnys and Grand Vitaras were all eager to get their tyres caked in thick dirt and washed off at the river crossing both at the start and end of the semi-challenging route.

Did you say a river crossing? Driving my spanking new car through water with rocks and slime and… “Cars do not like water,” Travis informed the group, all glaring at him with expressions like a kinetic strap pulled tight. Was that supposed to make me feel better? “But the Jimnys can safely absorb water up to the Suzuki badge.” As the river appeared that it would only reach mid-rim I started breathing again and felt my heartbeat return to near normal. Let’s do it!

By the end of the training I'd taught my Jimny: how to handle hills, ruts, hills with ruts – zigzagging across the terrain when the ruts were too deep – 4WD and low range, preparation of the vehicle for different off-road conditions such as deflating of tyres and then immediately inflating before hitting any form of tar, chassis, axles – hearing it crank, thinking it’s about to fall off. “A rod or shaft that is spun to transfer rotational energy from one side of the axle to an object at the other side of the axle some distance away from the source.” What did you just try and tell me? Oh and if “stuck” (a well-used word on this course) on a hill then simply reverse back down, all feet off the pedals – stick the car in the lowest gear, which is reverse (how did I not know this?) and then allow the vehicle to do all the work, let the machine go. “Just go? On its own? Are you sure?” Hold back a scream now!

Knowledge truly is power, makes one feel powerful!

After the delicious lunch, served in the part-open restaurant area overlooking the swimming pool encircled by rocks, I was ready to do it all over again. Watch out 4x4 tracks, I’ll be exploring all of you; bring on the weekends. Tala Game Reserve next Sunday! Rhino card, I must purchase.

A huge thank you to both Trevor and Debbie Wroe-Street who took all the pics of my performance. What a brilliant job – just look at me…

Debbie, hope you’re still keen to start that ‘Women’s Only Jimny Club’? Chaps, you may compete against us, with absolute pleasure, but please be advised that your ego is at MAJOR risk.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment